The other day I had a seminar and book signing in my hometown and I received the following question:
„How can you remain so positive? Can we also learn this attitude?”
My answer was clear and simple: YES! As I wrote in my book, the reason why motivational speakers and self-help books fail to bring the change into our lives is that we forget the most important: to do the work. The efforts noone can do instead of us.
If you want to keep a positive attitude, the biggest help is being grateful. When times get really rough I always turn to gratitude. When all I see is failure and while I am busy chasing the things I long for and forgetting those I already have, gratitude is the best attitude. Those things which used to be on my wish list and which were issues waiting to be solved then became reality. I already have them so why to forget and neglect?
If you feel right now that there is absolutely nothing you can be grateful for, here is a little list I put together based on my last week and it will hopefully serve as a reminder to reflect on all those treasures you can be grateful for:
This week I am grateful for..
- I am grateful for the pilot who landed our plane safely so I could be with my beloved ones again.
- While walking home in the super cold night I felt so lucky that I am not forced to survive in the cold but have a warm place called home.
- It’s pure happiness to have a friend with whom we had not met for years yet they welcome me like no time had passed and understand me even without words.
- I’m grateful for the evening my friends spent at my place and I burst out laughing with tears of joy. Carefree like a child.
- My mom’s cooking is the absolute happiness and I would never trade it for the most exclusive restaurant in the world. Never ever.
- It is so sweet to notice that a stranger smiles back at you on the underground and you exchange a few seconds of happiness, proving that a smile is really the shortest way between two people.
- Hug my nephew strong after a teenage conversation is priceless.
And what are you grateful for today? If nothing comes to your mind, think over whatever put a smile on your face and melt your heart. Those are exactly the things you shall be grateful for!
As we are approaching the end of year, it is the best time to reflect on how much you have, instead of the holiday stress, keep calm and fill your heart with gratitude while you fill your days with positive thoughts.